I attended an event where an executive was giving a presentation. Before he presented, an event attendee read his bio. After the reading he thanked the attendee and said, “Now that you know what I do, I am now going to tell you who I am.” He discussed how his experiences, the challenges he overcame, and the people he met, helped to shape his life. He further explained that, while he was afforded access to various opportunities, it was the challenges that tested his fortitude and determination to achieve that made him a stronger and wiser person.
Like the executive, we all have had people in our lives, numerous diverse experiences, and challenges that have influenced our thoughts and direction. Those experiences, whether positive or negative, have impacted our faith, vision, and stamina in running the race of life. Regardless of where you are today, it is key that you fulfill your God-given purpose. Requisite to finding and carrying out your purpose is to conduct an inventory of your life and skillset, effectively creating a personal PLOT. By completing the two and developing an action plan, you will position yourself to identify and reignite your purpose.
Below are preliminary questions you should ask yourself to get a clear perspective of who you are, what you stand for, and where you are going. If you are not comfortable and/or unclear about any of your answers, determine what is driving your behavior. If it is still unclear to determine, please seek wise counsel to assist you.
- Who am I, what do I believe in, what will I not tolerate, and what impact do I have in my life and in the lives of others?
- Have I planned my life accordingly and with purpose?
- Have I been focused in reaching my goals?
- How do I respond when I have setbacks? Do I take setbacks as an opportunity to regroup and learn, or do I fall apart?
CREATING YOUR PLOT
Your PLOT is geared to explore and bring to light your passions, opportunities, and even limitations and traps, in your journey. This process, like the above questions, will require you to reflect and conduct an inventory of yourself. Below are examples of questions you should ask yourself.
- What task(s) do you love to do?
- What are your natural talents and skills that will make you marketable?
- What is a task that is extremely easy for you to accomplish others find difficult?
- What is your brand and what do others say are your talents?
- What are your values which will set you apart from others?
- What is a task that is tough for you to accomplish?
- What skills do you lack that are needed to achieve your goals?
- What fears do you have that hinder you?
- What benefits do you receive from the career that can help you accomplish your goals?
- What new technology can help you?
- What is the forecasted growth of the career/industry you are aspiring to enter?
- Who could mentor you and what organizations can you join?
- What are the challenges that could hinder you from accomplishing your goals?
- Is your career/job/industry stable, transforming, or becoming obsolete?
- Does the economy have a negative effect on you achieving your goals?
- Could your fears be your threats?
Finally, to accomplish your personal and careers goals require faith, focus, and determination. Further, it requires the belief that you think you can. I know you can do it, so start today!
Alan D. Benson is an author, entrepreneur, educator, and business thought leader. He has published three books, with his most recent being, Stand Up! A Message to the Black Man!, A Message of Hope and A Call to Action! His goal is to empower individuals and companies to unleash their untapped potential. To learn more about Alan please visit his website www.alandbenson.com. To purchase is book, click on Stand Up.
Unquestionably imagine that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the easiest factor to bear in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get irked even as other folks think about worries that they plainly do not recognize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and also outlined out the whole thing with no need side-effects , other folks can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you
I’m still learning from you, while I’m making my way to the top as well. I definitely liked reading everything that is posted on your site.Keep the stories coming. I enjoyed it!
I used to be very pleased to seek out this net-site.I wished to thanks in your time for this excellent learn!! I undoubtedly having fun with every little little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.
Hi there, You have done an excellent job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.